Monday 1 December 2014

Fusion Card Challenge - Sparkly Christmas

I've seen so many entries for the latest Fusion  challenge, I just knew I had to see what all the excitement was about and join in the fun!
 




After seeing this photo and sketch for the challenge, I could understand now why so many people have entered. You know I'm loving red/white and silver at the moment, so I love the photo. And now I have some circle dies, I'm always looking for a chance to use them. And use them I did.....





Yes, its a 'ring' shaker card. I haven't seen one so far in my blog travels and goodness knows why I thought of it but didn't think it would be too hard to do. Hmmmm....

I started by cutting two pieces of white card the same size as the card front. I arranged my circle dies on top of each to cut out the ring. After cutting the clear acetate, I glued it behind what would be the card front and glued the small circle on to the front of the acetate. I then glued the small circle to the other side of the acetate (so they covered each side) and also glued the other card panel. This way the acetate was glued in-between and not seen. 

Next was the hard part. I spent ages cutting out pieces of foam tape and arranging them around the small circle (so no gaps) and around the larger circle too. I then had to cover the rest of the panel in foam tape. With it upside-down, I poured the star glitter on the acetate, removed the foam tape covers and put the folded card down on top, creating the shaker. This turned into a disaster for me only because I hadn't glued the panels enough over the acetate and stars starting slipping thru.....

I die-cut the 'merry' from silver card stock and also 2 pieces of white card. These were glued together and then adhered over the circle. I stamped the rest of the sentiment in red and added a flat heart sequin.  It was a very long process but this is one of my favourite Xmas cards so far!

The star sequins are from Papervine. The 'merry' die  and sentiment stamp from WPlus9 'Hand lettered holiday'. The circle dies are from Couture Creations.

I'm also going to link this to the Addicted to Stamps Challenge # 123 where their theme is 'Holiday'. This is my third entry.

Will also link to the Uniko Studio Challenge # 16 where their theme is 'Anything Goes' and have lost count of all my entries....

And finally, will link to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Anything Goes'. This is my third entry.

Wow, rather a long post I'm afraid, sorry about that. Its funny because the card looks so simple and CAS but the 'behind the scene's' work certainly pushed my sanity button but was totally worth it. May be a while before I attempt this again though......

Take care
Shona

40 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I am in love with all those stars! This is fabulous Shona. Thanks so much for playing with us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful shaker card, what an awesome and unique design!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just so much fun and so very creative, the effort was worth it, thanks for joining Uniko and ATSM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great twist on a shaker card - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card looks stunning Shona - I love all those sparkly stars! Good luck for the DT call too - hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Shona! This is one fabulous shaker card! I am loving the use of die and silver! Your labor of love truly paid off (for us at least )! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ... simply stunning, Shona ... all those shimmery stars are so striking! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's so creative :) I love how u saw a shaker from the inspiration :) thank you for sharing with Fusion :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, I love this design with the negative space! hank you for joining us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing, I have not seen one like this either!!!

    Thanks for joining us at FUSION, such an amazing card and I sure hope you join us again, it is a true pleasure to drop by!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful and perfectly executed design Shona! Have you tried using those foam sheets from the art / craft stores, they work really well because you can use your circle dies to die cut a slightly larger shape and not have to waste foam tape, anything to save a few bucks in my house, so I can get more stamps of course lol (and some of the foam sheets have adhesive on the back too).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy WOW, Shona! Absolutely amaizng! You are so clever to create a circle shaker card. A tip you may be interested in - you can get foam adhevise sheets which you can die cut into any shape you like. Then you aren't fiddling with little pieces of foam to make sure there are not gaps. You probably know this but thought I would throw it out there :) Thanks so much for playing along with ATSM and good luck with the DT call xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, what an amazing shaker card. I love it as much as anyone else. It's simply breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning! A gorgeous shaker design - it makes such a fabulous stylised 'wreath'. So clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. SHONA!!! I am so happy that I've seen this masterpiece!!! Winner for sure!!!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how you created a shaker card, Shona! Using red/white and silver was the perfect color combo, too! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. well... this is definitely a winner in my book... it is absolutely GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spectacular! What a superb card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Love it :) Thank you for joining in on the Uniko Studio Challenge. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing! Smitten here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on winning at Fusion x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't be that this isn't a winner! Stunning card! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your win at Fusion. This is just gorgeous. A tip instead of the foam adhesive pain in the butt... die cut fun foam and glue it with Matte Medium. So on your card here, a ring/frame just smaller than the inside circle and one just larger than the outside edge of your window. Easy to do for standard shapes :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wanted to pop back and say congrats on your win at Fusion - very well deserved - hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, Shona, on your win at Fusion! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  27. CONGRATS, I just love seeing innovation, bravo - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. OK...no clue how on earth I missed this card! It is so so amazing and I can see why it was the winner...I love it and will have to give this a try...you are so talented and just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations Shona!!! Well deserved win :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your top 3 at UNiko, check the post out xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely spectacular, should win an award!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beautiful, I love that it looks so simple but still has that WOW factor!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, just seen your fab shaker card, wondered if you had a video tutorial on how to do this as I'd love to try it for the grandchildren x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations! This card is so pretty and creative!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete