Thursday 18 December 2014

Time Out Challenge # 21

One week to go and I'm so excited about Christmas!! The kids had their last day at school today and the excitement amongst the kids was palpable! They were mainly playing games today and found out after lunch who's class they will be in next year. Max is happy but Phoebe is not as she is not in the same class as her best friend......I've told her it will all be fine.

Hard to believe I know but its time for another new challenge at TIME OUT. This time we are taking inspiration from the words:

                              Christmas is love with all the trimmings

You can take inspiration from anything to do with these words and I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Our Guest Designer for this challenge is the always fabulous Shirley-Bee of Shirley-bee's Stamping Stuff. I'm sure you will have come across her gorgeous cards somewhere in blogland, she is very popular and love's to enter challenges. I highly recommend you visit her blog!!

The word that stuck out for me with the inspiration sentence is 'trimmings' and I immediately thought of a Xmas tree. I didn't want to use a stamp Xmas tree or papers. I wanted my brain to stretch out a bit and come up with something different and amazingly enough it did!


A turquoise Xmas tree, who would have thought! This is my favourite colour, so I'm always looking for a chance to use it.

This was so simple to make and you could use any patterned paper you like. I cut the paper into the same shape and size as the front of the card. I measured halfway across the top of the panel and then used my paper trimmer to cut from that mark to each bottom corner. I heat embossed the 'christmas' sentiment in white and then popped up on the card front with foam tape.

I die-cut the 'merry' three times from white CS and glued them all together for some height. This was glued directly to my tree. The pattern on the paper is actually smooth and shiny (hard to see in photo), so only added a few turquoise sequins so not to detract from that. So happy with how it turned out!!

The patterned paper is from Kaisercraft 'Happy Snaps' (I know, its not even Xmas paper!!). The 'merry' die-cut and sentiment stamp are from WPlus9 'Hand lettered holidays'. And the turquoise sequins are from Pretty Pink Posh.

I'm also going to sneak this into the Simon Says Stamps - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Winter Inspiration' and they have the most gorgeous mood board to inspire you. I was immediately drawn to the top left photo with those beautiful blues and the trees with snow:


You have two weeks to enter your creation and if you need any ideas, please visit the TIME OUT blog where the rest of the Design Team have created some beauties! I hope you have time to join us amongst all your Xmas preparation and I'm so looking forward to seeing your designs.

Merry Christmas!!

Shona


12 comments:

  1. love you used the word 'trimmings' and very creative take! Great CAS design and the subtle DSP works well in keeping it CAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your card looks like a christmascard, but in another colour it is a card with a greet design! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this...the tree is fabulous. Love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you were inspired, that's a fabulous tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea on how to make a different kind of tree! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do love how your brain works, Shona! That little tree would look gorgeous in my living-room!! Perfect color! Love this.... Merry Christmas right back to you!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this super cool, CAS design - the way you have used the patterned paper to create your graphic tree is so clever! I hope the kids enjoy the Christmas break :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful use of pattern paper and die, Shona! Love this gorgeous design! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Winter Inspiration” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well your brain worked wonders in designing this card, Shona! :) I love the contemporary, graphic look. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous CAS card.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge and Happy Christmas !

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous colour, gorgeous card, Shona ... crisp and fresh and wonderfully graphic! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your turquoise Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete