Friday 20 January 2017

Just Add Ink - January 2017 Challenge - Blog Hop

Hi there everyone and welcome to the first Just Add Ink challenge of 2017!! And since its our first, we decided to do a blog hop to celebrate!









You should have arrived here from Jan's blog Jans Creative Corner where I'm sure she wowed you with her gorgeous project. If you've lost your place in the hop, pop over to the Just Add Ink blog to find the full blog hop list!!

As you can see our theme this week is 'Pop-Up and Interactive'. I've only made one once before for Halloween (where I had the head of a girl spinning like 'The Exorcist') but it wasn't hidden in the card itself. I really wanted to make a 'pop-up' card but it was a total disaster. So I watched a video by Jennifer McGuire here, so I have Jennifer to thank for the design:



You would never think there was a surprise hiding inside this card:




Here is a short video to show you how the 'spinning' in the middle of the card works:




This was pretty simple to put together (I haven't seen any of my JAI team mates cards, so I know mine is going to be boring in comparison) but it would be so much fun to make with kids!!

I started by popping a hole in the front and back panel of my card (I actually did this twice as I realised the first hole was too high.....), threaded my cotton thru it and adhered in place. I then die-cut the rectangle from water colour CS and white CS, adhering the white one to the back of the card to cover up the cotton.

I used a large round brush and my Gansai Tambi paints in different shades of blue, to create cold, winter-scene, and dried with my heat gun. I was then able to stamp and heat emboss the sentiment and footprints in white. 

On a piece of white CS I stamped the tree's, coloured them with pencils and fussy cut them out. The tree's were then glued to the rectangle panel and then the panel to the front of the card (with a piece of fun foam underneath), along with some blue and clear sequins.

The yeti was a little harder to do. I had to mirror stamp him, which I've only done once before and this time didn't work so well. I stamped him on to a clear stamp block and then pressed the block on to some white CS but it didn't transfer well. Luckily I was able to draw over the faint lines with a black pen. Once they were both coloured in, I fussy cut them out, added double-sided tape to the back of one and pressed them back to back on either side of the cotton. I twisted him around, closed the card and opened again and he spun around like crazy....yipee, it worked!!

All of the stamp images are from My Favourite Things 'Beast Friends' and the rectangle-stitched die and sequins are from Pretty Pink Posh. 

I have four challenges I would like to enter:

NBUS Challenge #8 (new stamp set and new spinner card technique)



Simon Says Stamp - Monday Challenge (Chill Out)



Simon Says Stamp - Work It Wednesday - December 2016 (Something New)

Which is the MFT stamp set I haven't used before.



Curtain Call Challenge




Whew, sorry this is such a long post!! You have until next Wednesday 25th January to link your projects to the Just Add Ink  challenge. Your next stop on the hop is the amazing Kim, just press the 'Next ' button and it will take you straight to her stunning project!!

t


Take care
Shona





 

 


21 comments:

  1. This is pretty adorable, Shona! Very clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww he's the cutest little monster, Shona & a fun surprise inside. Hope you get the vid going to see him in action.
    Hugs, D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Shona! Your little yeti is adorable and opening the card up to see him spinning like crazy will be such a fun wow! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! Fingers crossed for the vid, can't wait to see him action. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute, Shona! Yuor little monster is too cute for words! Super fun! Rochelle xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh this is so cute! Happy little monster. Great way to add extra Wow and fun to your card. Chantell x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is sooooooooo cute, Shona!!!!! Such a fun card - love your sweet little guy hiding inside!!!!!
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, I just had to laugh! He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those little foot prints = ADORABLE! I love your cold winter scene, beautiful shades of blue. And that little Yeti guy is super cute - I haven't mirror stamped yet either, keep meaning to try it....great interactive card, Shona. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable...just as cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too adorable. Those little paw prints make the card. Beyond clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a super cute card Shona! I love your beautiful water coloured scene and those tiny footprints are gorgeous...and the surprise of your spinning little yeti is such a fabulously fun idea!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute card. Love the spinning yeti.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love and love! Too much fun!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is too cute and nothing boring about it at all! That yeti is just the cutest - I'm managed to resist them so far but my willpower is weakening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great Shona - I've neber made a card like this, but I can't wait to try it now! Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha ... what a fabulous surprise, Shona ... this is so cute! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your card is so fabulous! Love the cute surprise inside the card. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your spinner card, Sho! How fun for the recipient to open the card and see this fun Yeti surprise!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #8 with your NBUS and your new technique!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shona, this is so fun! Hey, I saw your name drawn at Work it Wednesday~congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete