Wednesday 16 August 2017

Reminder: The Flower Challenge # 11

Hi everyone!! I'm popping in with a quick reminder about our current challenge at The Flower Challenge.





This month its all about 'background stamping', which could be one big stamp or lots of images stamped on top of or around each other....its completely up to you. 

The card I created at the beginning of this challenge had lots of solid stamps layered all over the card front. This time I decided to go with one big stamp and do some colouring:


This is one card that nearly got the better of me but I kept at it and finally was happy with the end result!!

To start with I stamped the floral background stamp on some Strathmore Bristol Smooth CS using black Memento ink. This way I was able to colour in some of the flowers using my Altenew Artist Markers. Once I had finished I fussy cut down each side of the panel around the flowers. 

I decided to die-cut the sentiment into the panel and used this large one 'Big Hugs'.  Once I had done that I adhered a piece of white CS behind it so I could inlay the pieces again. To add some variety to the layers I also die-cut it from some black CS and some white CS which I coloured with the light pink/peach marker I used to colour the flowers. I inlaid the black layer first, then the peach and then the floral die-cut on top but slightly over to the right so you see a hint of peach underneath.

This is where I had a problem. The sentiment die-cut was so well 'disguised' you couldn't see it at all. So I first decided to use the darker blue marker and colour the top die-cut layer around the flowers. It was very hard to do with it already in place but I finished only to find it looked bloody awful. So I then took a risk and used a black marker (from the same Altenew marker set) and coloured around the flowers. It was incredibly hard to do it cleanly but it worked. It covered up the blue and made the sentiment stand out so much more. Whew!!

My next risk was something I saw Jennifer McGuire do recently. Once the floral panel would be in place there would be white CS showing on each side. It didn't look right so I grabbed the light blue Altenew marker and coloured strips on each side. It looked all blotchy and you could see the lines from the marker so I was freaking out but luckily it dried as one colour. Another whew!!

All I had to do now was add some sequins and I added some Glossy Accents to the die-cut word to give it more shine. Was so glad to be finished!!!

The floral background stamp is from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps 'Full On Floral'. The sentiment die and sequins are from Neat and Tangled.

I'm going to link this to the Uniko Challenge # 42 where their theme is:



You have until Friday 25th August to link your projects to The Flower Challenge and if your still needing any ideas, pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team have created for you. Can't wait to see what you made in the Gallery!!

Take care
Shona
 

8 comments:

  1. sweet and happy card mf....well done.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I know you explained how you managed to make that sentiment look so freaking cool but, dunce that I am, I still don't get it. All I know is, it looks absolutely marvelous. All you work was SO VERY WORTH IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many inspirational designs with flowers Shona, absolutely swooning at this beauty and love the bold sentiment in amongst the flowers. Just perfect and thanks for playing along at Uniko with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was worth all the hard work and taking risks, Shona!!! Your card looks fabulous and I love how you did with the sentiment die cut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty card with all those sweet little flowers Shona, love it. Hope you had a lovely birthday too ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out absolutely fabulously. I honestly think this is one of the classiest and cleverest cards I've seen - and even better it's a save!! Gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your creativity is so inspiring and your designs are a delight to see in the Uniko gallery. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun at Uniko. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another gorgeous card - those flowers are so pretty. Thanks so much for playing along with Uniko this month. Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete